The good news is that US issued 1911 45. pistols may soon be sold to the public. The bad news is that official release hasn't happened. The latest National Authorization Act (NDAA) calls for sale of these military relics. But, It's 10,000 per year through the Civilian Marksmanship Program, and there's government red tape, of course. And authorization is pending. Maybe The President will push through repatriation of over 200,000 M1 Garands that are on hold since Hillary and Obama stopped their sale.
Many will complain that they would rather buy a commercial .45 auto than a piece of "junk." That's fine.There will be some clunkers included; however, all sold will be graded and priced accordingly. Big deal. You wont be buying a proverbial pig in a poke.
The appeal is owning a piece of HISTORY. Has the .45 you are buying from CMP visited the beaches of Normandy? Was it on a South Pacific battlefield. Did it serve in Korea or Vietnam? Or, was it hardly used and carried by a Soldier or Marine and never saw combat?
If you want to shoot it, try it after a good inspection. If it just needs parts like a new barrel, extractor, spring, or other common replacement parts, so what? They are always available to buy and easy to replace.
Here's what you need to know from the CMP.
- CMP will have an all-new 1911 order form, 1911 purchasing instructions, a 1911 page on our web site, a dedicated 1911 FFL fax number and email address for the FFL holder to send their FFL with customer's name attached. The customer will have to send in a complete new order packet with all new qualifying criteria included. Everyone will be a new customer, everyone starts with no advantage or disadvantage. CMP 1911 is an FFL governed operation and is a separate entity from CMP and has to have its own record keeping operation with no ties to the old CMP records.
- Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt. CMP will price at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.
- Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01, or 02, or 07 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
- A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.
- The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check, in which the information is provided by the FFL holder to NICS, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
- Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
- No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales. All 1911 orders will come in via USPS, UPS, Fed EX, etc.
- CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
- Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery, USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.
- Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
- Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
- The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
- Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
- When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one 1911 type pistol.
- As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grades and pricing options will be available.