HR 117 was brought to our attention by a reader.
Its is sponsored by Reps. Holt and Rush
SEC. 2. FEDERAL HANDGUN LICENSING AND REGISTRATION SYSTEM TO APPLY IN ANY STATE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A HANDGUN LICENSING AND REGISTRATION SYSTEM THAT MEETS CERTAIN REQUIREMENTS.
- (a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
`Sec. 932. Licensing and registration of handguns
- `(a)(1) The Attorney General of the United States shall establish a Federal system for the licensing and registration of all handguns owned, possessed, or controlled in the United States, which shall include a method for easily retrieving information sufficient to identify--
- `(A) each resident of a State to which this subsection applies who owns, possesses, or controls a handgun; and
- `(B) the handgun.
- `(2) It shall be unlawful for a person to own, possess, or control a handgun in a State to which this subsection applies unless the person--
- `(A) is licensed to do so by the system established pursuant to paragraph (1); and
- `(B) has registered the handgun with a Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency.